5 Feb 2012

Signed by Mr. Franzen

I struck  literary gold yesterday. While my boyfriend was standing in line in the bank (a looooong line), I went exploring in a second-hand shop next door. I love book shelves in second-hand shops because if you go into a regular book shop you kinda know what you can expect in terms of books. They will have the bestsellers, the hyped indies, a selection of classic etcetera but they won't have strange book that never really made the "hit lists" seven years ago and a bestseller from 1992. With second-hand shops you are never certain what you might find. Some of them are like Aladdin's caves full of books that you never new existed (and that you wanted) or books that are expensive in the bookshops. Yesterday I seriously found gold. Not only did I get two paperbacks for two pounds - "Juliet, Naked" by Nick Hornby and "The Almost Moon" by Alice Sebold - but I also found:



A SIGNED hardback edition of Jonathan Franzen's "Freedom" that I have on the top of my "to buy" list.
For five pounds!

I felt like a had done a very good deal indeed! Have you bought any books lately?

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That's awesome. I love secondhand shops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly why second hand bookshops and charity books are better than regular book shops.

    Congrats on your find! Who is it signed to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sam: it isn't signed to anyone, it is one of those generic signed copies but I am still very happy with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY cool! I wasn't a fan of Freedom myself, but I think it's wonderful you ran across a signed copy! Congrats on the great finds. :)

    ReplyDelete