2 Nov 2010

Top Ten Tuesday: Books that made me cry


I actually wrote this post yesterday but then my computer crashed and I never got to publish it, so here we go :-)

I just found a new meme that I have to participate in: Top Ten Tuesday! Normally I do teaser tuesday but I think I will save my teaser for tomorrow - or for later tonight - and do the Top Ten instead. The Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish at http://brokeandbookish.blogspot.com/2010/11/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-that-made.html

As you have guessed, it is a list of ten books that made you cry. Now I don't cry a lot over books, movie etc. so some of these go years back. But here we go.

1) "Anne of Green Gables" by L.M. Montgomery. When I reread this book, I always dread the part where Matthew dies. It is so incredibly sad.

2)"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" by J.K. Rowling. The way Dumbledore is push out of Hogwarts which is then taken over by the Ministry of Magic and turned into a soviet-like terror regime is so scary. It actually, really made me cry.

3)"Christiane F." by Christiane F. I read this two or three times as a teen and it always made me cry. The story is so sad, the way the addicts will do anything for drugs, relinquishing their lives and their souls for a fix is so sad.

4)"The Diary of a Young Girl" by Anne Frank. Anything about the Holocaust will make me cry but especially this book, it is so sad. It should be a mandatory read in all schools.

5)"The Diary of a Slummy Mummy" by Fiona Neill. Whenever I need to read and laugh out lot - til the teas roll - I get out the stories about Lucy "Slummy Mummy" Sweeney and her misadventures. These are many and varied and include breaking and entering, stashing cigarettes in her boots and having a crush on a yummy stay-at-home dad with a healthfreak complex.

6) "Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell. I loved horses and when I was a little girl this one was sure to make me cry.

I am not sure that I can think of any more to put on here - I really don't cry a lot when I read. However, when I do cry it is usually related to children or animals not being treated well. I hate that the and the unfairness of it always makes me emotional.

No comments:

Post a Comment