27 Dec 2010

Review: "Catching Fire" - Reading as if the book was on fire!


So after reading "The Hunger Games" I was impatiently waiting for "Catching Fire", the sequel which promised many more hours spent deep in reading about the country of Panem and the courageous Katniss. When it finally arrived in my mailbox, I saved it and took it with me when traveling to my parents' place for Christmas. And ended up spending most of the night between the 23rd and the 24th of December reading in bed because this book was unputdownable (if that is a word).

IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE HUNGER GAMES AND CATCHING FIRE, PLEASE STOP HERE AS THE REVIEW IS FULL OF SPOILERS!
Just wanted to warn you :-)

Katniss is back home in District 12, now living with her mum and sister Prim, Haymitch and Peeta in the Victor's Village. Finally they have some stability, enough to eat and a safe place to live. But Katniss and Peeta have to keep up the pretence of being star-crossed lovers as they go on a Victory Tour to the other districts. However, since leaving the Hunger Games the relationship between Katniss and Peeta have been akward and cold and the act is by no means easy to keep up. However, President Snow soon makes it clear to Katniss that the act is crucial to her and Peeta's survival. So Katniss has to do the best she can - and as this is not good enough, she soon faces another round in the Hunger Games arena, taking Peeta with her.

This is a great book. Not as great as "The Hunger Games" but a great sequel. I loved the plot that kept twisting and turning and the growing love triangle featuring Peeta, Katniss and Gale. It was a really strong book for me, mostly because of Katniss. She is so cool. Full of flaws but full of virtues as well. Cold, pragmatic, calculating, no-nonsense - loving, caring, rebellious, thoughtful, clever. She is a really facetted characters, better than most of the other ones out there in fantasy-world.

Want to read what others think?
In Bed With Books: http://www.inbedwithbooks.blogspot.com/2009/09/review-catching-fire.html
Bart's Bookshelf: http://www.bartsbookshelf.co.uk/2009/09/12/review-catching-fire-by-suzanne-collins/
My Friend Amy: http://www.myfriendamysblog.com/2009/08/review-catching-fire-by-suzanne-collins.html

4 comments:

  1. I love Katniss as well and she's a huge reason I loved the books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Katniss is such a great character too. I liked this book a lot but didn't love it as much as Hunger Games. For some reason I felt like the suspense wasn't as much a driving force as in the first book. I still need to read the third book though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iliana, you have to read the third book, it is pretty awesome.

    and yes, Katniss is definitely the best part of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're going to make me read them. I usually avoid books everybody read, it's like I don't trust the rest of the world's taste about books.

    ReplyDelete