21 Dec 2010

Top Ten Tuesday: All the books I want for Christmas



It's Tuesday and that means that it is time for a Top Ten list!
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This week the theme is the books that we would like Santa to put under our Christmas tree this Christmas. I have been doing a bit of this already in the All I Want for Christmas... posts but doing a top ten is an opportunity not to be missed!
Here we go - in no particular order:

10) "All the King's Men" by Robert Penn Warren
A Pulitzer Prize winner which has been turned into a film twice. It is a political drama set in Louisiana and it sounds like a one of those books that you can't put down once you've picked it up!

9) "Rumspringa: To Be or Not to Be Amish" by Tom Shachtman
An account of the Rumspringa tradition in the Amish society. I am curious to know more about how teenagers live in the Amish society and this would be a great book to start off with.

8) "Freedom" by Jonathan Franzen
Need I explain? With all the hype this book has received - the great American novel of our generation and so on - I just have to read it!

7) "Mystics, Mavericks and Merrymakers" by Stephanie Levine
This book unveils some of the traditions of the Hasidic Jews in New York and it sounds really intriguing. Definitely a book I will have to read.

6) "Wait for Me" by Deborah Devonshire
The memoir of Deborah Devonshire - youngest Mitford sister and Duchess of Devonshire. Being a bit of a Mitford Maniac of course I must read this one!

5) "Youth in Revolt" by Payden
The title and the fact that it has been adapted to a movie starring Michael Cera is enough for me. I have to read it.

4) "A Good School" by Richard Yates
By the author of "Revolutionary Road", this book about boarding school boys promises to be a good read.

3) "The Leopard" by Guiseppe di Lampedusa
A classic and a must read!

2) "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov
This book has been praised on many of the blogs out there and I am really hoping to get my hands on it soon.

1) "Undoing Gender" by Judith Butler
Butles is a bit of a hero of mine and I really want to spend a lot of time reading and studying this work about gender structures.

Which books are you asking Santa to bring you this year?

19 comments:

  1. Awesome list. Thanks for stopping by, I'm following you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ve asked for the granta book on new spanish writing myself ,all the best stu

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the King's Men was a powerful read for me. It gave me a love for nonfiction books.

    My list of books I hope Santa brings is here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Samita :-)

    Readerbuzz, glad to hear - i will stop by your list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great list! I'd like to throw a few of these on my TBR list (Undoing Gender, Rumspringa)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What books am I hoping to get from Santa?

    1. Hunger Games triology box set by Suzanne Collins
    2. Millennium/Girl with the Dragon Tattoo box set by Stieg Larsson
    3. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
    4. Matched by Ally Condie
    5. Vampire Academy box set by Richelle Mead
    6. Of Thee I Sing by President Barack Obama
    7. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
    8. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
    9. Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks
    10. Strange Fate by L.J. Smith

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWESOME list. Number 9 has been on my radar for awhile as well, but I have yet to read it ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sound of number 9 on your list, at the moment I find myself fascinated by the amish community after reading several book reviews based on their lives.

    My wish list? Too long, I have so many books on it that Father Christmas would need another sleigh to deliver them all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Red: sounds like we like the same kind of books

    @Tribute: good list!! I really recommend Hunger Games, it is wonderful

    @IngridLola: Maybe we will read it at the same time.

    @PettyWitter: ha ha yes, poor Santa, he must be stressed out with all the books we people are wishing for :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I picked up Freedom in the bookshop at the weekend and would now really like to read it. And of course 'Wait for me' though I think I'll have to wait for that book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard so much about Freedom I'm a little afraid to read it. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got Freedom sitting on my shelf but I'm waiting for all the hype to die down a bit so that when I pick it up I'm not too busy wondering about what I should be thinking when I read it! And thinking of what other people have been saying about it. I'm looking forward to reading it though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like your choice ofof books! Though I'm hearing of most of them for the first time, the descriptions sound like stories I would be interested in.

    Also, I've been browsing through your blog, and am simply enjoying myself. I like it here.:)

    Risa

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I've heard of any of these books if so I can't remember. Have a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really loved All the King's Men. It was a completely engrossing read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an intriguing list! All the King's Men is one I would like to read very soon. And Judith Butler on gender theory--fascinating reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice list! All the King's Men was really great -- so great I read it twice. Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Merry Christmas Willa. Did you get your books? I hope so! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Merry Christmas, thank you so much for all your lovely comments!! I did not get these books but I did get some other great ones... :-)

    ReplyDelete