15 Dec 2010

Make a Mov(i)e!


So a lot of your are taking part in the Waiting on Wednesday meme but I have to admit there there are not a lot of books that I am impatiently waiting for to be published. However, there are a lot of books that I would very much like to see being adapted for the big screen! I love watching a good movie - last night my sister, my boyfriend and I had official "Eclipse" night, watching the vampires and werewolves alternating between fighting and taking off their shirts. Do I need to add that my boyfriend was less than impressed? My sister and I did enjoy it though.
There are a lot of books out there that I think could make great movies - if treated right that is. Here are some of books that I would like to buy a ticket to the theater to see - a fantasy, a romcom and a historical drama!

Jonathan Stranger and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke - the fantasy movie
New Line Cinema has bought the rights for making this fantastic novel into a film but so far not a lot has happened. Get your skates on New Line!!
The story is set in England around the Napoleonic Wars - a time where magic is returned to England at the hands to two magicians. The gentleman Mr. Norrell and his apprentice rebel Jonathan Stranger. Lots of drama and magic. A Harry Potter for adults.

Got You Back by Jane Fallon - the romcom
Jane Fallon's first novel Getting Rid of Matthew is apparently on the way to the big screen - but I would prefer to watch her second novel, Got You Back - come to life. This is the story of two women who share a man... One is married to him, living a jet-setty life in London, one is his girlfriend living in a small village in rural England. They don't know about each other but when they find out, he is in trouble. Big trouble. Perfect for Jennifer Aniston and Drew Barrymore, if you ask me.

The Life Mask by Emma Donoghue - the historical drama
This drama is based on real historical characters and they sure come to life in this dramatic tale of love, riches, plays and a touch of lesbianism. If you like Sarah Waters, you will love this book about the acclaimed actress Elizabeth Farren (in the picture) who becomes close friends with a famed sculptress while being pursued by a rich earl. The fact that this all builds on historical facts only makes it better! Please please please cast Keira Knightley!

Which books would you like to have adapted to films?

7 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to see a movie version of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. I hope that one comes to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I am really keeping my fingers crossed for that one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have very mixed feelings about adaptations as all too often I'm disappointed with the movie version. In fact I can only think of several books that I have enjoyed as films and even less where I thought the film better than the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I would agree - the book is almost always better than the film, with the exception of The DaVinci Code where I had to stop reading half way through because it was simply painful..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog - I read your 'about me' piece and would recommend the pottery! Generally speaking, adaptations make me want to read the book - again. Which is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Petty Witter and Jemina: I agree often the adaptions are not very good... Have to admit there are some that I have really enjoyed. The DaVinci Code was NOT one of them :-)

    Catherine: Thanks :-) I agree often I end up reading the book again when I have seen the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished a book recently that I think would be wonderful on screen, Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier. It would be a great period piece.

    ReplyDelete